Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Golden Treasures and the Salt Cathedral

Today was a wonderful finale to my first and definitely not my last trip to Colombia.  All week I have been having great time seeing the sites and experiencing the culture and friendly people that visitors to Colombia will enjoy.

This morning I toured with a couple from Toronto that had attended Travel Mart Latin America and were with me in the Coffee Triangle.  Our guide Fernando was excellent and began the morning with a visit to the #1 site in Bogota -- the Museo del Oro.  Not only does Michelin give the museum 3* but also says, "It is simply the most impressive museum of its type in the world."  And I agree!

Containing over 34,000 pieces of pre-Colombian artifacts, the collection could stand on its merits simply with numbers alone, but the visitor comes away with an entirely different understanding of the value of these treasures.  Sadly,  the early Spanish explorers decimated many cultures searching for "El Dorado."    They had heard rumors that cultures such as the Muisca near current day Bogota threw their gold and jewels into nearby Lake Guatavita as gifts to their gods.

Through numerous well-planned exhibits and our guide's explanations, I came to realize the true value of these gold treasures lay not in their monetary value, but in their spiritual significance to the ancient people who created these incredible treasures. Our visit ended with our entering a darkened room.  Slowly the lights came up, revealing a circular room completely covered with gold artifacts.  As we spent the last moments of our visit here, we began to realize the true worth of these treasures was the spiritual value to the ancient people. We left with this realization etched in our minds, hopefully, forever.

Leaving the hustle and bustle of Bogota behind, we drove north through the countryside to the town of Zipaquira, the center of Colombia's salt mining industry.  Our goal was to visit its world-famous Catedral de Sal, an incredible feat of engineering that turned the former salt mine into an amazing underground salt cathedral covering over 91,000 ft.  By the time we had seen the cathedral, we had walked 2 kms.

As our eyes become accustomed to the dimly-lit mine, we begin our walk through the 14 small chapels representing the various Stations of the Cross.  I have walked the Via Dolorosa in Jerusalem on 2 separate trips, but there was virtually no comparison between the 2 sites other than the title of each station.




Coming back to the surface we were suddenly aware of hunger pangs and were glad when Fernando suggested lunch in a nearby village.  Lunch was traditional Colombian food and delicious.

I couldn't resist a photo of the typical colorful local cafe.





Today I got the delightful message that my driver would be picking me up at 4am in the morning for my 7:45am flight.  Bogota airport requires a 3-hour check in, and, after several traumatic instances earlier this week, I am definitely willing to comply.  I fly nonstop to Houston and then on to Austin.
So, after 8 days in this wonderful country, I am bidding Colombia  a fond "Adios," but hope to return soon!  I had always heard Colombia was a special destination but had not realized the beauty and diversity of the land, the bountiful natural resources, the fascinating history and rich colonial architecture, delicious cuisines, and the welcoming people.  I now truly appreciate the tourism slogan --The Only Risk is Wanting to Stay!





No comments: