Monday, September 17, 2012

Bogota -- High in the Andes

Today I said good by to the Coffee Triangle--an area I had fallen in love with and boarded an Avianca flight for my 3rd trip to the Bogota airport. Having had major challenges the first 2 times at this airport, I was a bit apprehensive, but all went off without a hitch and my guide was waiting for me holding a sign with my name on it. There's no better feeling than arriving in a new destination and seeing someone waiting for you!

I had now traversed from the port city of Cartagena to the Coffee Triangle in the Central Andes to my final destination – Bogota. Colombia's largest city with a population of 8 million, it sprawls along the eastern section of the Andes at almost 9,000ft. It is the 3rd highest capital city in the world behind La Paz, Bolivia and Quito, Ecuador. Founded in 1538, it was a relatively small city until the 1950's when growth began at an incredible pace. It's location on the slopes of the Andes provides a beautiful setting.

Due to some much too complicated issues to explain in a blog, my city tour didn't begin until almost 5pm. Not too happy about the delay, I soon changed my attitude as we began our exploration of the city with a gondola ride up Cerro de Monserrate. 

 The Santuario de Monserrate is visible from just about every corner of the city, as it sits atop the highest point at 10,340ft on the eastern ridge of the Andes. Blindingly white in the glare of a sunny day it provides breathtaking views from the top. I'm afraid my photos just couldn't quite capture the incredible beauty of the city below me as the sun set and lights began to spread across the valley.

By now the temperature was dropping and it was time to take the gondola down to the city. 

What a view!

Our next stop was the Museo Donacion Botero located in the Candelaria, Bogota's colonial city filled with churches, palaces, museums, cultural centers and popular restaurants. It's really the heart and soul of the city.



Colombia's most well-known artist, Fernando Botero is best known for his paintings of rotund people and animals.


I wasn't familiar with his work but found the museum and his portrayal of the subjects fascinating. 



We only had a short time in the museum before it closed, but I definitely plan to learn more about his works which include serious subjects such as his highly stylized portrayal of notorious drug lord Pablo Escobar, being gunned down by government troops. It is the Bird of Peace sculpture, however, in Medellin that really brings the Colombian situation up close. In 1995 a bomb was placed at the feet of this sculpture, and 23 people were killed. Instead of replacing the sculpture, he elected to create an identical statue and place it alongside the destroyed one to show the futility of the action.

Returning to my hotel, I walked down the block and had a delicious meal of spaghetti and meatballs at a neighborhood Italian restaurant. Time for a change from all the Colombian specialties.

Tomorrow is my last day in this wonderful country and the agenda promises to be a full one so had best say buenos noches!.
Linda






No comments: