Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Bridge Too Far and Belgian LaceI


Today we left the Holland of the 17th century and learned about the Netherlands during their intense struggles of World War II. Docking in Nijmegan, a 17th century Dutch city that I had toured last year, I elected to not revisit this charming university town, but instead drive to the Airborne Museum. Located in an old hotel, this museum depicts in great detail the events in the battle for the bridge at Nijmegan. Unfortunately, many Allied lives were lost in the attempt to take the bridge and thus destroy the German supply route. The museum was unlike any I had visited as you toured the various rooms and felt through video and sound that you were actually caught in the middle of this fierce battle. I had not realized that Dutch resistance fighters shad helped many British paratroopers escape across the river while Dutch civilians sheltered another 500 Allied paratroopers around Arnhem. The 1977 movie, entitled A Bridge Too Far, tells the story of this tragic battle.
From here we drove to the nearby Airborne Cemetery were fallen paratroopers lie. I have visited the American Cemetery in Normandy as well as another cemetery in the Netherlands where 7000 American military are buried, but I still felt humbled as I walked through this beautiful, peaceful plot of ground where over 2000 Allied troops who fought in this battle4 are buried.
Having cruised all night (I love my hotel moving while I sleep!), we are docked Monday morning in Antwerp in the northern part of Belbium. In the Flanders region the language is Flemish and is slightly similar to Dutch and German. In the Grote Markt(city square) is the Brabo fountain. The UNESCO world heritage Cathedral of Our Lady contains works by Peter Paul Rubens who lived in Antwerp in the 16th century. Antwerp is one of the two most important diamond cutting centers of Europe-- unfortunately, I didn't manage to acquire any of these souvenirs.
Another fast but delicious lunch was followed by a trip to Brussels (about 1 hour south of Antwerp). I've been to the capital of Belgium several time but am still awed when I enter the Grand Place, one of the most beautiful city squares in all of Europe. Brussels is known not only for delicious chocolate but also delicate lace work. My plans to wait until Brugge to buy lace vanished when I saw an adorable baby dress. My second granddaughter who is won't arrive until September already has an addition to her wardrobe.

No comments: