Monday, April 25, 2011

Vietnam - A Return Journey

It's been almost 10 years, but I'm on my way back to Vietnam, a country I first visited in November 2001 right after 9/11. Plans were already in place to take a small group of about 12 people to Vietnam when 9/11 shook the world and, especially the travel industry.  I truly expected most of the group to cancel as a large percentage of my clients did cancel their travel plans for the fall of that year.  Much to my surprise only one couple canceled and that was due to health issues. We spent 11 days touring the country from Saigon (still called that by  the locals) to Hanoi.  It was a wonderful trip and, probably, one of the most educational I've ever taken.

This  evening I depart Austin on a nonstop flight to LAX, have a 5-hr layover, board Cathay Pacific and fly 14 1/2 hrs to Hong Kong.  Two hours later I'll be on another flight, arriving in Hanoi at 9:30am Saturday morning(crossing the international date will lose a day).  Cathay Pacific is a wonderful airline, and I'm sure I'll be treated royally, even in my economy seat.  

In 2001 Richard and I found Vietnam to be a beautiful country with extremely warm and welcoming people.  I don't expect that to have changed, but I'm sure there will be many other changes.  I can't wait to return!

More from Hanoi on Saturday.
Linda

No comments: