Sunday, May 9, 2010

From Amsterdam to Africa


I just returned from our wonderful Tulip Time River Cruise in The Netherlands and Belgium and am heading back across the "Big Pond!" It's beginning to seem like deja vu, but the same old volcano is spewing ash again resulting in European airports being closed. We just made it in and out of Europe between a narrow window of closures. Fortunately, however, on this trip I'm flying nonstop from Atlanta to Johannesburg -- hopefully, they'll have enough fuel to make land! Don't think I've ever taken a flight this long (about 16 hours).

Ideally, I would never schedule 2 big international trips this close together, but an invitation to join a Micato Safari fam (familiarization tour for travel agents) was just too enticing to refuse! South Africa has been #1 on my Bucket List for several years. Not only am I fascinated by the game reserves and opportunity to see wildlife in their natural habitats but also to witness first hand places where the fascinating history of this country took place. Seeing the beautiful Capetown region will be an extra bonus. The photo is one of Micato's and shows the Capetown waterfront.

I leave Austin this afternoon, change planes in Atlanta and Johannesburg and arrive in Capetown, South Africa about 9pm Tuesday evening. We will be spending 5 nights touring this region and then fly to 2 private game reserves in the northern part of the country. I have been told that it is vital to have a good camera when on safari so I bought a new one during the few days I was in Austin and have been frantically trying to learn how to use it. The flight over the Atlantic should give me plenty of time to study the manuel. Hopefully, I'll have some good photos to send out.

Check out the upcoming blogs as I switch from tulips and windmills to lions and rhinos!

Linda

No comments: