Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Machu Picchu and Easter Island -- Remants of Vanished Societies

Once again my plans to stay home for awhile have been cast aside.  I just returned from Colombia less than a month ago but couldn't turn down this wonderful opportunity to visit  two very special destinations, one of which was still on my Bucket List

I have been to Peru, but that was several years ago and my last trip did not include Machu Picchu so I'm looking forward to seeing what has changed at the Ruins and nearby town.  Several years ago Orient Express took over ownership of the rundown property that was in the park and  made the Sanctuary Lodge the premier and closest accommodation to the Ruins.

We'll also visit  Cusco, the ancient capital of the Inca civilization and gateway to Machu Picchu as well as Lima, the capital of Peru and known as "The City of Kings." More on these areas soon as Peru is our first stop.

The highlight of the trip for me, however, will be Easter Island.  I honestly never thought I would see firsthand this remote and fascinating destination.  Located in the middle of the Pacific Ocean over 2000 miles west of Chile it is the most remote inhabited island in the world.  Recognized all over the world for its over 400 iconic stone carvings, these structures, known as Moai, still dot the landscape.  It is truly an archaeological and anthropological wonderland.

Hard to believe that in just a few days I'll actually be seeing this famous destination. I've heard Wifi is sketchy on the island (not surprising) so don't know how often I'll be able to send out posts but will certainly give it a try.

I leave tomorrow on Jet Blue to JFK and after a 7-hr layover fly nonstop on LAN Airlines to Lima.
If you've added your email to the box on this page and accepted it, you'll get a notice each time I publish a post.
More from South America soon.
Linda

No comments: