Sunday, December 4, 2011

Amsterdam

We arrived in Amsterdam about 8am local time after a very uneventful flight. One glass of wine and an Ambien and I slept 5 hours, waking fully refreshed as we landed. Fifteen of us boarded the transfer provided by AMA Waterways and drove into the city – a short 30-minute drive. The other 3 passengers had arrived earlier. The weather was less than desirable – actually pouring down rain, but that didn't deter our adventurous souls.  Mike Parish looks very happy to be here!

We boarded the ship, grabbed a quick cup of coffee, pulled out our gloves and boots and, with maps in hand, headed into the city. I had missed the Rijksmuseum the last time I was here so that topped my list of 'must-see sites.' Fortunately, Amsterdam has several wonderful museums to see on rainy days. It had been 40 years since I had seen the Rijksmuseum ( I was a mere child!) and was anxious to see the Old Masters in this famous museum. The works by Rembrandt, Vermeer, Jan Steen and others were still wonderful and several hours passed quickly before hunger pains surpassed my desire to see more works of art.

There is no such thing as a quick lunch in Europe unless you grab a hot dog from a street vendor and I was definitely in the mood for a hot bowl of soup. Found a cafe near the museum and had a delicious lunch. Two hours later, the rain had stopped and a lovely winter afternoon persuaded me to forego the nearby Van Gogh Museum and spend time walking in the city. I love Europe in the winter – not crowded and the beautiful old buildings are much more visible once the leaves have fallen..

Our cabins on the Amacello were ready when I returned to the ship, and I had time to unpack before dinner. Gayle (my roommate from Arkansas and long-time friend) and I were surprised by an invitation to dine at the Captain's Table. Prior to dinner everyone was invited to a champagne reception in the lounge where we met with the crew and had a briefing explaining our wonderful week ahead. The ship is beautifully decorated for Christmas which added to our already festive moods.

We all enjoyed the reception but none more than Kathy Farley.  Needless to say she was pleased to meet our chef, and in my opinion one of the most important crew members on the cruise!

Not only did Gayle and I dine with the captain but also with Steve,one of the AMA Waterways corporate members, who tantalized us with descriptions of the new Africa cruise the company is offering. Captain Hank, a native of The Netherlands, was born on a river boat (literally!) and has spent most of his life cruising these waters – I felt very comfortable with him at the helm. He was also a fun dinner companion!

I'm in the lounge by myself late tonight typing this post after a very long day but enjoying our pianist playing Christmas carols and viewing the lights of Amsterdam from the river where we are docked. I think, however, it is time to say good night after a wonderful first day in Amsterdam.
Linda

No comments: